08 February 2011

Top Ten Characters (or Literary Figures) I'd Name My Children After





Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish

Each week t a new Top Ten list is posted complete with one of their bloggers’ answers. Everyone is welcome to join, so please link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND post a comment on our post with a link to your Top Ten Tuesday post to share with all those who are participating. If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment.



 If you can't come up with ten, don't worry about it---post as many as you can!


Laura's Top Ten Characters / Literary Figures I'd Name My Children After:


  1. NATHANIEL...My husband and I both love this name, and it is an added bonus for me since Nathaniel Hawthorne is one of my favorite American writers.
  2. ESME...meaning esteemed or loved, this name comes from The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell.  Loved the book, and the name is really lovely and unusual.
  3. SCOUT...from To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.  I love everything about this book.
  4. EBENEZER...(This is my husband's choice).  Not to be confused with Scrooge, Ebenezer is of Biblical origin and literally means "a stone of help."  Theologically, it refers to anything that reminds us of God's divine & holy presence.
  5. DELILAH...From the Biblical story of Samson & Delilah.  Though the character is a duplicitous trickster, her name is beautiful.
  6. FINOLA...from Becoming Finola by Suzanne Strempek Shea.  I loved the book, and more importantly, I loved (by the end) how the essence of Finola became bigger than the actual character in the book.  Very cool story.
  7. SCARLETT...from Gone with the Wind, of course.  Despite the fact that she was essentially a spoiled brat, she has a very cool name.
  8. NICHOLAS...certainly a very rich literary history.  Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens, Nick Caraway in The Great Gatsby, Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas by James Patterson, Saint Nicholas, and I'm sure many more.  Meaning "victory of the people," it is a strong, masculine name.
  9. JOSEPHINE...of course, my very favorite character from Little Women.
  10. CODY...The literary character of Buffalo Bill is based on Colonel William F. "Buffalo Bill" Cody.  That it is a well-known name in western fiction makes it near & dear to my heart, and as such, my son is named Cody.

That's it.  Stayed tuned for next week's Top Ten Tuesday!



2 comments:

  1. Great picks! Scarlett made our list. I also think Scout is too cute.

    Reading Lark's Top 10

    ReplyDelete
  2. 10 interesting choices there- how great Cody made the list. I love the name Delilah, and she would have her very own fantastic themesong.

    ReplyDelete