24 February 2011

Some of Laura's Favorite Book Quotes ('cause there are more than 10)



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This meme was created because they are particularly fond of lists at The Broke and the Bookish. They love to share their lists with other bookish folks and LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week they post a new Top Ten list complete with one of their bloggers answers. Everyone is welcome to join. All they ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND sign Mister Linky at the bottom to share with all those who are participating. If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Don't worry if you can't come up with ten every time...just post what you can!



So, without further ado...Some of Laura's Favorite Book Quotes ('cause there are more than 10):


1. "You know I hate, detest, and can't bear a lie, not because I am straighter than the rest of us, but simply because it appalls me. There is a taint of death, a flavour of mortality in lies — which is exactly what I hate and detest in the world — what I want to forget. It makes me miserable and sick, like biting something rotten would do. Temperament, I suppose."
from Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

2. "Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home."

from The Stand by Stephen King

3. "Water, water, every where, / And all the boards did shrink; / Water, water, every where, / Nor any drop to drink."
from Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge

4. "Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone, / Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone. / Silence the pianos and with muffled drum / Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come."
from Funeral Blues (aka Stop All the Clocks) by W. H. Auden

5. "Things are sweeter when they're lost. I know--because once I wanted something and got it. It was the only thing I ever wanted badly, Dot. And when I got it it turned to dust in my hands."

from The Beautiful and Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald

6. "Straddling the top of the world, one foot in China and the other in Nepal, I cleared the ice from my oxygen mask, hunched a shoulder against the wind, and stared absently down at the vastness of Tibet. I understood on some dim, detached level that the sweep of earth beneath my feet was a spectacular sight. I'd been fantasizing about this moment, and the release of emotion that would accompany it, for many months. But now that I was finally here, actually standing on the summit of Mount Everest, I just couldn't summon the energy to care."
from Into Thin Air by John Krakauer

7. "All kings is mostly rapscallions."

from The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

8. "The telephone rang, and she knew she was going to die."

from Queen of the South by Arturo Perez-Riverte

9. "If all the world hated you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends."

from Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

10. “Entreat me not to leave you, / Or to turn back from following after you; / For wherever you go, I will go; / And wherever you lodge, I will lodge; / Your people shall be my people, / And your God, my God. / Where you die, I will die, / And there will I be buried. / The LORD do so to me, and more also, / If anything but death parts you and me.”
from The Bible (Ruth 1:16-17)

11. "Girl," I says, "come help me haul these things down the hill, I'm going to live in the post office."
from Why I Live at the P.O. (short story) by Eudora Welty

12. "I've had an elegant sufficiency; any more would be a superfluity."

from The Beard (short story) by Fred Chappell

13. "There was something strange about this country of America, something that they all seemed to share and understand and she did not."

from The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare

14. "In the great green room there was a telephone, and a red balloon, and a picture of ... the cow jumping over the moon."
from Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown

15. "Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
from To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee



16. "Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing."
from To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee


17. "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You too? I thought I was the only one."
from C. S. Lewis


18. "Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
from The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Steven Covey


19. "Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way."
from Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy


20. "To be, or not to be,--that is the question:--whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing end them?"
from Hamlet by William Shakespeare

No comments:

Post a Comment