01 February 2011

Laura's Top Ten Favorite Book Debuts


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created & hosted at The Broke and the Bookish

Each week a new Top Ten list is posted that one of the bloggers at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All they ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers. 




My Top Ten Favorite Debuts


1.  To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.  Amazing that an author writes this book, and only this book, and it becomes a major part of the American Lit canon.  It's a stellar read.


2.  A Time to Kill by John Grisham.  Though it was not his first novel published, it was the first book he wrote, and it is head and shoulders above The Firm, The Pelican Brief, The Client, and many others.  It is obvious that John Grisham's heart was in this story.


3.  Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling.  Who knew that this novel would touch off such a reading revolution among young adults.  It takes a writer with quite a flair for  storytelling to reach teens the way Rowling did, and what a bonus that so many of us adult types liked it too.  The characters are complex and well drawn, and we were drawn in to the point that it was difficult to wait for the next installment.


4.  The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.  LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this book.  It was my favorite read of 2009...a complex, layered, and completely satisfying novel.


5.  Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.  Definitely my favorite Bronte novel - a spectacular rendering of a Gothic romance on its surface, but so much more than that.


6.  Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson.  This was an unflinching portrayal of what happens when a teenager is sexually assaulted and can't find the confidence to defend herself or prosecute her attacker.  


7.  The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd.  I loved this book...I thought the entire story was just beautifully written, and although some of the religious elements were not exactly my cup of tea, I thought the story remained absolutely consistent and lovely from start to finish.

8.  Little Women by Louisa May Alcott.  I loved this book when I was a teenager, and again as an adult.  I've never forgotten it, and for me it remains one of my lifetime favorites.  IMO, no girl's reading life can really be complete without the March sisters.


9.  Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice.  I have never been much for vampire stories, but there are, occasionally, books that are just good, regardless of the subject matter.  This book is one of those for me.  It is dark & mysterious. sexy, a little dangerous, and wholly entertaining.


10.  Night by Elie Wiesel.  I was blown away by this little book when I read it in high school.  It was such a wrenchingly personal account of a Jew's survival during WWII.  It touched me deeply.









No comments:

Post a Comment